Summary of Position:
Exergy Solutions Inc. is looking for an Instrumentation & Control Engineer on a contract basis. If you enjoy growth in a start-up style environment and working in a culture that loves creativity, experimentation, and innovation, then this could be a great fit for you. Our Calgary office has a multidisciplinary team of designers, technologists, and engineers. We specialize in development and implementation of new technology pilot projects for our clients.
We are looking for a strategic, highly motivated, and detail-oriented individual who enjoys working as part of a team in a dynamic and entrepreneurial work environment.
Completing technical activities including combinations of the following:
- Participate in PHAs and client review meetings,
- Develop control strategies, P&IDs, control system specifications, termination diagrams, commissioning plans.
- Complete and oversee the development of data sheets and instrument index for each project’s tagged instruments from development to purchase.
- Work independently on Instrumentation & Controls design as an integrated member of an interdisciplinary design team.
- Design, specificity and integrate complete automation systems including PLC, HMI, DCS, and communication networks.
- Participate in control panel design and generation of bill of materials, cabling, PLC and HMI programming, and commissioning for pilot industrial facilities.
- Perform FAT, pre-commissioning and commissioning activities.
- Project scheduling as well as in the development of instrumentation and controls estimates.
- Ensure that all work is properly checked in accordance with Exergy and outside applicable Standards & Procedures.
- Review work by team members in adherence to our Quality Assurance program.
- Coordinate activities with Project Managers and Technical Engineers of all disciplines.
- Adhere to all health and safety policies and guidelines.
- Occasional travel to Northern Alberta is required.
The ideal candidate for this position will have:
- This is a senior role that will require 10+ years of progressive experience as an instrumentation and control engineer in heavy oil.
- Hardware/software troubleshooting skills.
- PLC/PAC Programming experience using industry standard software packages.
- Experience with industrial network design and implementation.
- Proficiency with engineering software and engineering database programs (Microsoft Office, InTools/Smart Plant Instrumentation, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal skills required for internal team interfaces and client liaison.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to adapt to new projects and quickly understand the defined scope.
- Fluency in one or more control system languages is considered an asset.
- Experience with instrumentation design.
- Work experience in the Oil Refining and Oil Sands sectors is considered an asset.
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of the Canadian Electrical Code, CSA and ISA standards.
- A demonstrated commitment to high professional ethical standard.
- Bachelor of Engineering degree or Technologist in Electrical Engineering, Automation and Instrumentation or related field.
- Professional Engineer (P.Eng. or P.L.(Eng.) designation is required for this role.
- Formal training from control system vendor or industry software tools considered an asset.
- Candidates must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- As this is a Contract role the Contractor should be Inc./ Ltd. and the following must be in good standing:
- Liability insurance
- GST number
- Hours for this role will be determined, approximately 20-30 hours per week.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position is based in an office environment located in Calgary, Alberta. There will be required travel between two locations within the city, where additional hazards may be present. Any additional site-specific training and certifications required will be provided.
Please note that Exergy is following all COVID-19 Alberta Health regulations and working from home, wearing a face mask and following all COVID-19 protocol is required at this time.
If you are interested in this position and meet the above criteria, please apply in confidence. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.